Nav Bar
Establishment Utility Service
Utility Type

PictureTo establish a utility service account with the City of Garland you will need to do the following:

Complete an application.

  • Residential customers can apply by completing an online application, by calling 972-205-2671, or applying in person at the Charles E. Duckworth Utility Services Building at 217 N. Fifth Street.
  • Commercial customers must apply in person at Building Inspections located on the 1st Floor of the Main Street Municipal Building at 800 Main Street.

Provide identification. A valid Texas Driver's License or Texas ID is required when applying for new service.

If you are moving into a single-family rental property, check with the owner to make sure the property is registered with the city as a rental. It must be registered before utility service can be established.

If you are moving to a newly-purchased home, you may be required to show proof of ownership prior to utility service being established.

Choose one of the following three options to satisfy deposit requirements for your account:

  • Cash deposit payable by cash, check or money order.
    Deposit can be paid in full when service is requested or with the first month's billing statement. (All cash deposits are refunded at the customer's request after 12 months of no late payments for residential accounts and 18 months of no late payments of commercial accounts.)
  • Credit check through Experian Inc. for a non-refundable fee of $10, payable in the office at time of request.
    Your credit report must reflect that credit has been established for at least one year and must also meet our criteria prior to satisfying our deposit requirements.
  • Letter of Credit from another utility company (electric, water, or gas only).
    Letter of Credit must show that no more than one late payment occurred within the most recent 12 months of service.

Residential Deposits

  • $200 - Electric, water and solid waste services.
  • $75 - Water-only accounts (includes solid waste services)

Commercial Deposits

  • Call 972-205-2671 and speak to a customer service representative.

An account establishment fee is assessed on all customers' first utility bill.

  • Account establishment fee is $30.00

You must turn off all water faucets before water service can be established.

  • As a safety feature, we observe the water meter after we turn on service. If more than 10 gallons of water passes through the water meter (indicating an unattended water faucet is on or a possible leak), we will have to turn the service back off so as not to flood the home. If this occurs when you are not at home, call our office at 972-205-2671 and make arrangements for reconnection of your service. In most cases, this will require an appointment to be made and someone will need to be at home. Our appointment times are 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. on normal business days.

New GP&L Electric Commercial Customers
Commercial customers' main electrical breaker boxes must be accessible to servicemen before service can be connected. If the breaker box is inaccessible, call us at 972-205-2671 to make arrangements to get your service connected.


Customer Service Overview
Establishment Utility Service
Billing Options
Payment Options
Understanding Your Utility Bill
Billing Cycles
Conservation & Safety Tips
How To Read Your Meters
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Customer Service
Contact Customer Service
Utility Bill Inserts
Privacy Art Search
This site maintained and updated by Garland Power & Light. Reproduction without express written consent of GP&L is prohibited.
Utility Customer Service GP&L Electric Services Online Services About Us Contact Us Home Page